Monday, May 25, 2009

I was Just Riding Along, when...

...this happened.

This is the boom tube of my P-38, the extendable bit in the front which houses bottom bracket, cranks, front derailleur, and, oh, all manner of other useful bike-related widgets.

The large crack, which occupies roughly 3/4 of the circumference, is not a standard feature.


I was out for a nice Red Belt ride today; headed out to Ambridge via the usual Neville Island-->Sewickley-->Beaver St route, then up the Belt. Nothing terribly crazed planned for the day; I figured I'd see how I was feeling by the time I hit Saxonburg Blvd, then decide whether to head back to town or continue out to Tarentum before returning. Mostly, just a chance to stretch my legs, shake down the new Marathon Racers I'd installed last night, and enjoy some truly fantastic weather. Plan went off without a hitch, until about three miles short of Culmersville...

I'd noticed a subtle waver in the big chainring, and was wondering if I'd somehow managed to bend it, when it suddenly ceased being subtle. With a sickeningly smooshy feel of bending metal, the bottom bracket shell went sideways, and the big ring had locked itself against the side of the boom; the chain was stationary, and I was involuntarily freewheeling in a mild state of bemusement. Fortunately, this was on the flat, and no traffic nearby, so it was merely a matter of a quick stop and a rummage through my store of lesser-used profanity.

Called home and begged for help; second time this year, which is a bit unusual for me, and I sincerely hope it doesn't become a trend. Started hiking towards Culmerville, and actually quite enjoyed the stroll in the sun. Met Deena and the kids at Popeye's convenience store, and headed home.

It will be interesting to see if I can arrange a replacement or repair in the next few days, as I'm scheduled to ride the DC Randonneurs 400K this weekend. I really, really hope I don't have to try to use my commuter (AKA the RANS Rocket, AKA the less-than-well-maintained beater, AKA the seat is falling apart) for that ride. We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Alan said...

Wow. That SUCKS. My deepest sympathies.

I hope they're able to get you all sorted, and in time for this weekend.